In 2013 a Higher Education Authority report stated the importance of clustering colleges based on regional relationships. The clusters have been created in a formal and systemic way to address the full range of higher education needs of a region and to advance regional development. It is an opportunity to collaborate between institutes and universities to enhance the quality and effectiveness of their activities.
The national clusters are::
- Dublin I (UCD, TCD, NCAD and Dun Laoghaire IADT);
- Dublin II cluster (consisting of the MEND region – DCU , MU, Athlone IT, Dundalk IT):
- South (UCC, Cork IT, IT Tralee, Waterford IT and IT Carlow);
- Mid-West (UL, Mary Immaculate College and Limerick IT);
- West (NUI Galway, St. Angela’s College, Galway-Mayo IT, IT Sligo and Letterkenny IT);