In 2013 a Higher Education Authority report stated the importance of clustering colleges based on regional relationships. The clusters have been created in a formal and systemic way to address the full range of higher education needs of a region and to advance regional development. It is an opportunity to collaborative between institutes and universities to enhance the quality and effectiveness of their activities.
The cluster that were created from this report are:
- Dublin I (UCD, TCD, NCAD and Dun Laoghaire IADT);
- Dublin II cluster (consisting of the MEND region – DCU , MU, Athlone IT, Dundalk IT):
- South (UCC, Cork IT, IT Tralee, Waterford IT and IT Carlow);
- Mid-West (UL, Mary Immaculate College and Limerick IT);
- West (NUI Galway, St. Angela’s College, Galway-Mayo IT, IT Sligo and Letterkenny IT);